I just delivered from the Pennsylvania trade/public RV show and when taking a look at a new mobile home on a Freightliner Custom Chassis I noticed what exactly looked to be the small fuel container positioned under one of typically the exterior storage pocket doorways. The cap on often the tank got the words (DEF) which in turn We later on discovered represents Diesel Wear out Fluid. My partner and i had no more idea what Diesel-engined Wear out Fluid was, so I headed over to the Freightliner display to find outside. The Freightliner representative had been really educated and valuable in explaining precisely what OUTL was, and after coming back home I decided to research the idea a tad further.
It turns out and about OUTL was a outcome from the latest times of EPA mandates upon diesel engine emissions requirements. These EPA mandates about diesel emissions have the very long history. For over 25 years the ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY has aggressively elevated strict diesel-engined exhaust emissions standards on manufacturers, most notably found in the areas of Particulate Matter (PM) and oxides connected with nitrogen (NOx). These deplete emissions are by-products from the combustion (or rudimentary combustion) of diesel engine fuel. Think of the PM as the soot or smoking you see released through the exhaust system. Oxides involving nitrogen result via a bad problem involving nitrogen and o2 inside the high temperatures designed by typically the combustion approach.
In 2150 the EPA signed emissions standards geared at EVENING emissions, made to take full result by the release associated with 2007 model year automobiles. That provides us back again to DEF plus the this year ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY mandates, made to reduce the amounts of nitrous emissions released into typically the setting.
As far like the RV Industry proceeds all but one Oe Manufacturer (OEM) chose some sort of process referred to as Selective Catalytic Lowering or maybe (SCR) in order to meet the brand new EPA standard. Merely place SCR gives a Diesel Exhaust Water and a cause of which is designed to take out further PRIVATE MESSAGE and emissions from the diesel-engined burning process.
Pros & Downsides of SCR
Precisely what really does all of this result in into the new diesel powered RECREATIONAL VEHICLE manager?
1) SCR will give you 5% to 8% much better fuel economy.
2) More torque & horsepower compared to a similar 3 years ago engine motor with Wear Gas Recirculation (EGR) technology.
1) The owner must keep the DEF water tank capped off. The term is that OUTL may be abundantly accessible from travel centers & automobile parts stores.
2) It is usually possible to the DEF remedy, made up of two-thirds part water, to freeze. The word is the particular DEF fish tank is insulated and the method employs heated lines to offer the particular fluid to help keep away from freezing.
3) DEF could degrade, but it would likely get 125 degrees associated with direct temperature over a new period of time, which is unlikely to actually transpire.
4) If for virtually any legitimate reason you do certainly not fill the DEF aquarium and you run out often the engine will lessen speed to about 30 advise until more OUTL is usually added to this system again. One can find pressure gauges in the coach that may alert you in plenty of time to refill the tank before it runs dry.
5) Increased cost. The newest technology is sure to affect rates, but this jury is out with whether the projected improved gas economic system will balance out the increase in price more than some sort of time period.
So enjoy mercedes diesel emissions claims or certainly not, this is the method of choice being used by the particular majority of RV manufacturer’s to meet or extend past the 2010 EPA diesel powered exhausts standards.
Incomparable the next rounded of EPA mandates. At this point that the exhaust approaching out of the tailpipe might be cleaner than precisely what is going in to the intake (in several regions of typically the country) we need in order to support ourselves for exactly what is next. It style like the next federal government approved EPA and SCRAP mandates are aimed with increased gas efficiency and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions. These new diesel emissions standards will be phased inside between 2014 and 2018.
The new standards becoming included are sure in order to dramatically increase the expense of a diesel powered motorhome again, and the concern begs will the ends justify typically the means?